The National Chow Chow Club was first registered on the 25th April 1933. The founder and first Secretary was Mr Joe Hartley-Baileff who remained Secretary throughout the war years and up to 1959.
Whilst there is no documented evidence to support the legend, it would seem that the Club was first formed as a group of Chowists could not see eye to eye with the committee of one of the other Clubs. As the Club in question held all their committee meetings at the Kennel Club and insisted on ending in time for afternoon tea at The Ritz whilst the newly founded National Chow Chow Club meetings were at a North London pub, there could be just a trace of credence in the story.
As far as can be traced, the National jogged along quietly until post war when on the 26th May 1947, the first Open Show was held at The Memorial Hall, Camden Town, London. This drew an entry of 202 over 20 classes and was judged by Mr Gilbert Kay who awarded Best in Show to Padua's Anton of Kenway, who was still a puppy.
The same year the Club staged it's first Championship Show on October 11th, again in London at Lime Grove Baths. Mr T A Moffatt judged dogs and Mr D J Stobart was appointed to judge bitches. There was an entry of 261 over 30 classes with entry fees being ten shillings and six pence plus an additional three shillings for benching. Prize money was two pounds for first, one pound for second and ten shillings for third place which meant that a second prize more than covered your entry fee! By 1959, Mrs Miriam Simpson had taken over as Secretary of the Club although the tradition of a North London pub as the venue for the committee meetings continued, as presumably did the other Clubs use of the KC and The Ritz! The National Club continued to hold CC status during the nineteen fifties until a change in policy at the KC resulted in CCs being lost until 1972.